Monday, April 25, 2011

When time outs don't do the trick....

We were at a friend's house on Sunday morning for an Easter get together when my younger daughter (almost 1 year old) picked up a metal pan from IKEA and began hammering it on another toy making loud and disruptive noises in the middle of our dining table conversation.  My first thought was, how rude of her.  My second thought was, how do I stop her from doing that.  Then a light bulb went off in my head.  I'm not sure how these innovative ideas come to me, but I've realized I have quite a talent for devising quick and effective solutions to every day parenting problems.

So my idea, which I happily shared with our friends was to use a kid tranquilizer gun for just such disagreeable occasions.  The tranquilizer strength would be optimized to induce a short nap, say for 30 minutes, enough to disrupt the unwelcome behavior, but not delay their sleep at night.  This "behavior adjustment" method would be used when the behavior is so egregious, there is no time for any other disciplinary action.  In military lingo, this method would be categorized as non-lethal crowd control.


No comments:

Post a Comment