Sunday, October 16, 2011

Don't mess with Costco shopping carts!

From an AP article by Dara William titled "CORRALING CARTS; ANTI-THEFT DEVICE KEEPS SHOPPING BASKETS IN THEIR PLACE." - paraphrasing since the article is copyrighted:

According to the Supermarket Institute, a shopping cart is stolen every 90 seconds in the U.S.  In one year, 1.8 million were taken at a replacement cost of $175 million.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a sign on my Costco shopping cart with the warning message, "Attention Shoppers!  Our shopping carts will lock if taken beyond the parking lot perimeter."


I thought this was a bogus alert to scare shopping cart thieves.  So I decided to test this warning.  The video is below.  I took my wife to Costco to get a flu shot.  I visit Costco by myself almost always, so this was the perfect opportunity to test the alert system, especially given that my wife wasn't able to get the flu shot because it was a Sunday.  So her trip wasn't in vain.


Lo and behold, the front left wheel locked a little after I crossed the yellow line marking the end of the Costco parking lot.  If it weren't for a passer by car, I 'd have pushed the cart straight through the yellow line for a more dramatic display of the locked wheel.

Upon further examination of the locked wheel:


I noticed that wheel had a plastic cover unlike other wheels, suggesting there was some type of technology inside that wheel only.  Here's a description of anti-theft technology in shopping carts I found on Wikipedia:

"Electronic systems are sometimes used by retailers. Each shopping cart is fitted with an electronic locking wheel, or 'boot'. A transmitter with a thin wire is placed around the perimeter of the parking lot, and the boot locks when the cart leaves the designated area. Store personnel must then deactivate the lock with a hand-held remote to return the cart to stock. Often a line is painted in front of the broadcast range to warn customers that their cart will stop when rolled past the line. Unfortunately these systems are very expensive to install and although helpful are not foolproof. The wheels can be lifted over the electronic barrier and/or pushed hard enough that the locks break."

6 comments:

  1. Other shopping retail stores such as Target have this type of anti-left device installed on their shopping carts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you marginalizing my excellent investigative journalist work? I had to go undercover for that story....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea this technology existed until today. I went to the store with my wife and baby and left with over $400 worth of merchandise all in 1 cart. We had parked in a parking garage attached to the Target store where we were shopping. I struggled with pushing the heavy cart out the door, so when the wheels suddenly locked up on my way to the parking garage, I thought it was a rock or maybe even gum (as I had just stepped in some) that was jamming the wheel up. I finally resorted to doing a "wheelie" approach just to get the cart to move. Mind you I had no idea this tech existed and there weren't any visible signs posted or noticeable lines indicating that the carts were armed with any kind of special device. So I unknowingly muscled through it leaving a giant skid mark along the way. I considered getting a different cart and completely unloading and reloading everything, but by this point I was so frustrated and embarrassed by the situation that I didn't care. A Target employee walked by and looked at us...didn't bother to offer help or let us know that there was a locking wheel. It wasn't until we got everything into our car and were able to flip the cart over that we saw the words "Gatekeeper" on the wheel. I then realized that there probably was some sort of perimeter "dog collar" system for these carts...but it still didn't make sense - despite not seeing any other carts around the parking garage, there were Target signs and other Target specific decorum in the garage. Why would Target prevent customers from being able to get their merchandise to their car? While leaving, I was able to look around for a sign displaying information about the carts, and found a sign that was twisted around facing a wall. I guess live and learn - hope they don't come after me for wearing down their wheel after I spent over $400 in one pop at their store. They should put the information on the cart itself or make it obvious (it wasn't at all obvious- I looked around for red flags when the cart stopped and didn't see any - I'm a tech person and I just happened to figure it out after it was too late - a non-tech person would've never figured it out). It was almost like they were trying to hide the fact that the cart would lock up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to read about your struggle pushing that Target shopping cart. You can't really blame Target, Costco et al. There are too many shopping cart thefts to do nothing, but you are correct that they should do a better job of informing unsuspecting customers.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this informative blog.I read your blog and i would say anybody can afford automotive product at discount in online stores.

    heavy duty casters low profile & floor locks

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister was in the Costco parking lot, no where near the edge and the wheels suddenly locked up. The car did a wheelie and hit her in the chest. She is bruised up. Obviously some kind of malfunction. Just be aware it can happen.

    ReplyDelete