Sunday, February 6, 2011

One marathon a day for 365 consecutive days?!

Last night/early this morning, I was awakened 3-4 times because of my two little daughters.  The younger one who is 9 months old wakes up at least once every night for feeding, and the older one who is 2 years and 9 months usually sleeps through the night.  Every now and then all the stars line up and the two take turns in interrupting our sleep.  My Sunday morning gym workout was in serious jeopardy as I dragged myself out of bed at 7:30 a.m., exhausted and pissed off.  It turned out I put in one of my best performances thanks to an inspirational article I read about Mr. Stefaan Engel.

49 year old Belgian runner, Stefaan Engel blows away the previous 52 consecutive day marathon record by running 365  in Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Canada, Mexoco, the U.K. and the U.S. 

"After running 20 triathlons in one year, I was not ready to go back to normal life," he said. "I also wanted to inspire people by showing that if I could run a marathon a day for an entire year, that anyone could run or bike a little each day or do something about their weight problem."

Engels ran every race at an average pace of 10 km/h or 6.21 mph with a heart rate below 100.  He approached this feat the same way addicts do; by focusing on the task one day at a time and not thinking “about next day or next week.”  Mr. Engel will now give his body a rest, write a book, coach and give lectures.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=6092994

No comments:

Post a Comment